Since air ducts are hidden from sight, dirt and other pollutants often stay undetected. Major deficiencies in the air duct system affect indoor air quality and reduce the effectiveness of cooling and heating equipment. It is normal for common indoor pollutants, viruses, bacteria, molds, and mildew to accumulate in the air ducts with time. So, regular professional air duct cleaning is essential.
What Is Air Duct Cleaning?
Air duct cleaning involves cleaning the various components of the cooling and heating system, including heat exchangers, grilles and diffusers, and cooling coils. Some of the signs that the duct requires cleaning include:
- Visible mold growth inside the duct
- Ducts that are infested with vermin, such as insects and rodents
- Ducts that are clogged with debris and dust
Why Is Regular Air Duct Cleaning Important?
If left uncleaned for a long time, air ducts collect a wide variety of allergens, including:
- Fungi and fungal spores
- Dust and dust mites
- Pet dander
- Mold, mold spores, and mildew
- Tobacco smoke
These pollutants and growths significantly affect indoor air quality. Some of the symptoms of poor indoor quality include:
- Coughing, sneezing, and sore throat
- Difficulty breathing
- Asthma attacks
- Skin rashes and eczema
- Low-grade fever
If you or a family member experiences frequent unexplained illnesses or symptoms, it might be a sign of dirty air ducts. It is logical that air ducts get dirty over time and should be cleaned occasionally.
The main benefits of periodic duct cleaning include:
- Improved Air Quality: By cleaning the ducts regularly, you remove dirt particles and dust. These particles are microscopic, and you can barely see them. In due time, they may find their way into your house, causing significant respiratory problems.
- Increased Air Flow: If the mold in the air duct is not removed, it blocks airflow. So, one of the main aims of air duct cleaning is to increase your home's overall ventilation.
- Clean Smell: Some of the odors experienced in your house come from mildew and mold. Even after using different types of air freshener, this smell won't go away unless the ducts are cleaned.
- Reduced Running Costs: One way of reducing heating and air conditioning costs is by having air ducts regularly cleaned and maintained. Due to improved airflow, your heating and cooling system will consume less electrical energy.
Air ducts help improve indoor air quality through increasing air circulation. If left uncleaned, the ducts can harbor dust and dirt particles that are harmful to your health. Thus, periodic air duct cleaning is vital.